Skip to main content

Brandles "quirky" Rammble

I like to deem myself a very friendly and understanding person who does not judge, but I often think about how others see me, and I am not sure they agree. I have quirks just like everyone else, but mine are somewhat odd, and although they even annoy me, I truly mean no harm by them.



Sometimes these so called quirks get in the way of my enjoying an evening with friends. For example, I cannot handle whistling, loud swallowing, chewing, etc. I tend to get very frustrated with myself. As I am sure most people get frustrated with me. My boyfriend (what would I do without him?) puts up with my strange complaints, but do other people? My guess is probably not, so I try to hide how irritated I become when someone does one of these seemingly normal things. I often plug my ears, clear my throat, or anything else to drown out the noise.

Why do these things bother me so much? Why can I not just ignore, or not even hear these things, like other people do? I will probably never know the answer to these questions. I take medication for anxiety, and have been able to calm these things that annoy me to the point sometimes I just want to be alone, but even the meds are not always the answer. Basically, I love all my friends and family, actually just people in general, so if I ever seem to be out of sorts, take no offense. Often it is just my annoying quirks, and believe me, we all have them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ramble on Guns and Mental Health

Recently I have seen more and more posts on social media websites about gun control, the lack there of, or there being too much. The recent shooting at an elementary school in Pennsylvania is an awful tragedy that has happened and many people believe that these kinds of incidents would not happen if guns were not allowed to be in the hands of citizens. I do not know exactly where I stand on the gun issue, but I do know that anyone who is inclined to murder a multitude of people has a mental issue, and I think that society needs to address these issues when related to guns and the well-being of all citizens.

The Heaviest Sword

“Belief is a beautiful armor, but makes for the heaviest sword” – John Mayer             What makes us believe in something? Why do we feel that we must believe in anything? Is there anyone out there who truly believes in nothing?  Or better yet, is there anyone in the world who truly believes in something?              Most children believe in Santa Claus.  I never did.  I pretended to for the sake of my parents, but by the time I was six years old, I told them I didn’t believe in him.  Many of my friends believed in Santa well beyond six years old and I didn’t let them know I knew the truth. I did often wonder how my friends never caught on though. Maybe they did and were just pretending, as to not ruin anyone else’s belief in the magic of good ole St. Nick.

Psi Chi

Today I was inducted into the International Psychology Honor Society! When I first got the email saying because of my academic record and involvement in psychology that I was invited to join this prestigious society I was very elated, but that excitement dwindled away being that the email was received a month or so before the actual ceremony.  However, the induction today brought that feeling back, and with a risk of sounding a bit over confident, I am very proud! With only a year and a half left of my undergraduate career, I am looking forward to applying for jobs and this honor will look fantastic on a resume.  Although I have changed my major to Mass Communications with a focus in Public Relations, I am still minoring in Psychology, and perhaps will even get my bachelors in the psychology field after graduating.  Either way I am extremely humbled and proud to be a member of Psi Chi!