Skip to main content

Mac Makes Me Think...

Reynolds vs. Reynolds: The Cereal Defense is yet another episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia that is a must watch. For those of you who are not familiar with the show, get watching! It's Always Sunny is sick, wrong, hilarious, brilliant, and often exactly on point. This particular episode started out like most of them; with something absolutely ridiculous. But I do not want to discuss anything but the end, and no worries, I will not spoil anything as the scene of focus has nothing to do with the rest of the episode!


Mac wants to prove that evolution is just a myth. Dee, Denis, Charlie, and Frank, being completely rational (I use this loosely) adults believe that evolution is the real deal. Most know my views on this, but if you do not, I totally believe in the theory of evolution...I believe it continues to happen daily. 

However, Mac's argument, or presentation rather, did make me re-think my stance. If only for a minute, Mac had me questioning myself. Basically, Mac's whole argument consisted of the fact that most of us have never personally seen any of these fossils and get most of our information from books that have been written by "a bunch of guys". This was his rebuttal to Dennis saying that the bible was written by "a bunch of guys" and Mac was just relying on "faith". Mac completely turned this point around in his favor, simply by pointing out that, in a sense, Dennis and the rest of the gang are "Dare I say, taking a leap of faith" by believing in evidence that they have never seen. He really does have a point, I thought to myself.

I have most certainly returned to my understanding of evolution and believing that the Bible is just a book, but I think it is wonderful that It's Always Sunny made me actually "think". Not all television shows do this and this spectacular series should be recognized more for the intellect behind it. Sure, the gang does some pretty horribly awful acts and makes unbelievably ridiculous mistakes, but that is the point. We all do and Dee, Denis, Charlie, Mac, and Frank encapsulate all of those acts and mistakes into one series!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ramble on Guns and Mental Health

Recently I have seen more and more posts on social media websites about gun control, the lack there of, or there being too much. The recent shooting at an elementary school in Pennsylvania is an awful tragedy that has happened and many people believe that these kinds of incidents would not happen if guns were not allowed to be in the hands of citizens. I do not know exactly where I stand on the gun issue, but I do know that anyone who is inclined to murder a multitude of people has a mental issue, and I think that society needs to address these issues when related to guns and the well-being of all citizens.

The Heaviest Sword

“Belief is a beautiful armor, but makes for the heaviest sword” – John Mayer             What makes us believe in something? Why do we feel that we must believe in anything? Is there anyone out there who truly believes in nothing?  Or better yet, is there anyone in the world who truly believes in something?              Most children believe in Santa Claus.  I never did.  I pretended to for the sake of my parents, but by the time I was six years old, I told them I didn’t believe in him.  Many of my friends believed in Santa well beyond six years old and I didn’t let them know I knew the truth. I did often wonder how my friends never caught on though. Maybe they did and were just pretending, as to not ruin anyone else’s belief in the magic of good ole St. Nick.

Psi Chi

Today I was inducted into the International Psychology Honor Society! When I first got the email saying because of my academic record and involvement in psychology that I was invited to join this prestigious society I was very elated, but that excitement dwindled away being that the email was received a month or so before the actual ceremony.  However, the induction today brought that feeling back, and with a risk of sounding a bit over confident, I am very proud! With only a year and a half left of my undergraduate career, I am looking forward to applying for jobs and this honor will look fantastic on a resume.  Although I have changed my major to Mass Communications with a focus in Public Relations, I am still minoring in Psychology, and perhaps will even get my bachelors in the psychology field after graduating.  Either way I am extremely humbled and proud to be a member of Psi Chi!