Skip to main content

A Ramble on Guns and Mental Health

Recently I have seen more and more posts on social media websites about gun control, the lack there of, or there being too much. The recent shooting at an elementary school in Pennsylvania is an awful tragedy that has happened and many people believe that these kinds of incidents would not happen if guns were not allowed to be in the hands of citizens. I do not know exactly where I stand on the gun issue, but I do know that anyone who is inclined to murder a multitude of people has a mental issue, and I think that society needs to address these issues when related to guns and the well-being of all citizens.


Mental health is still such a taboo topic. Nobody wants to admit that they have an issue and no family members want to admit that their loved one might have an issue. This is the root of the problem. There is so much help for any person with a mental issue, whether it be anxiety, schizophrenia, depression, or bi-polar disorder, there is research being done constantly to make these people suffer less and be able to lead a life where their affliction does not dictate what they do. In order to get this help the person and their loved ones must admit that there is a problem. After admitting there is an issue, help is easily accessible.

Now, back to the guns. Should there be more laws in place? I believe so. Should a person have to pass a mental examination in order to own the firearm? Absolutely. Should the firearm owner have to pass this test every couple of years? For sure. Honestly, I see no reason for a person to own a gun. I have heard the self defense argument and the only thing I have to say to that is the media shows all the violence that happens daily, but it is not nearly as prevalent as the consumers are lead to believe. Most of us can live safely in our homes without guns being needed, but that means we would have to realize that the media is only showing us the bad. Not just the news, but television series, movies, talk shows, etc. show consumers much violence. Sure, we as citizens need to know that these things happen, but we also must take into account how often they do happen. It is not a large number. Years and years ago, mass killings were the norm. Wars were fought with swords, knives, clubs, etc. There was constant war for a man to prove that he was the leader that "God" has appointed. This is no longer the case. Now people use these weapons to harm one another for no greater purpose (not that the purpose back in the day was legit).

I guess I do know where I stand on this issue. I believe gun control should be implemented. Making it harder for people to get guns just might detour some from getting them at all. Testing for mental illness might get people the help they need if they really want that gun. And lastly, guns should be a last resort. A citizen should never have to feel like they must carry a gun and I often wonder why some do. That, in my opinion, should not be allowed. It is one thing to have a gun in your home, but on your person is completely different. Going to the grocery store or movie theater most certainly does not require a gun!



Comments

  1. It wasn't until I had a family that I felt the need to have guns. I would like to know what you mean by "gun control". I will agree with you on the mental illness bit but I would like my safety to be my own responsibility. That is why I do carry a gun to the movie theater and the grocery store. If criminals continue to illegally carry firearms, then the ordinary gun control that is called for by the uneducated masses only strips my defenses and leaves my family vulnerable. You may want to be vulnerable but I don't. The proposed legislation was implemented for ten years and offered no decrease in violence. The fact that some people don't want to protect themselves will not keep me from protecting myself and others around me. I think more critical thinking about the effects of disarming law abiding citizens and creating gun free zones where we are defenseless would lead to an understanding of how we can protect one another from the mentally ill that will find a way to do harm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I completely understand your position, especially when it comes to your family, I cannot understand carrying a gun. It is not that unsafe out there, which is my point. Yes, I realize there is crime, but I have never once been in any position where I needed a firearm. It is just not that crazy of a world as the media portrays. We do not live in a war zone. I suppose gun control is a very loose term. I think that people should have to go through quite a bit in order to get a gun. If they are willing to do so, and pass the mental tests and what not, then I suppose they are equipped to have a gun.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Heaviest Sword

“Belief is a beautiful armor, but makes for the heaviest sword” – John Mayer             What makes us believe in something? Why do we feel that we must believe in anything? Is there anyone out there who truly believes in nothing?  Or better yet, is there anyone in the world who truly believes in something?              Most children believe in Santa Claus.  I never did.  I pretended to for the sake of my parents, but by the time I was six years old, I told them I didn’t believe in him.  Many of my friends believed in Santa well beyond six years old and I didn’t let them know I knew the truth. I did often wonder how my friends never caught on though. Maybe they did and were just pretending, as to not ruin anyone else’s belief in the magic of good ole St. Nick.

Psi Chi

Today I was inducted into the International Psychology Honor Society! When I first got the email saying because of my academic record and involvement in psychology that I was invited to join this prestigious society I was very elated, but that excitement dwindled away being that the email was received a month or so before the actual ceremony.  However, the induction today brought that feeling back, and with a risk of sounding a bit over confident, I am very proud! With only a year and a half left of my undergraduate career, I am looking forward to applying for jobs and this honor will look fantastic on a resume.  Although I have changed my major to Mass Communications with a focus in Public Relations, I am still minoring in Psychology, and perhaps will even get my bachelors in the psychology field after graduating.  Either way I am extremely humbled and proud to be a member of Psi Chi!