Skip to main content

Sweet Emotion

I was never big on family and love. I am sure there are many reasons as to why this is, but I do not wish to find those reasons. There is no use in dwelling on the past, but there is so much to look forward to in the future. As of lately it seems as if it is going to be one glorious journey to see what my future has in store! All of those years that I did not care whether I had a family or love, particularly in my early
twenties, though they were not wasted, I am wonderfully pleased to have a family again (not that they were not my family by their own intent). It is also incredible to feel love again, although it can be somewhat of a mystery.

Through my teenage years and my early to mid-twenties, I stopped caring if I had anyone close to me. I stopped caring if anyone wanted to be close to me. Hell, I stopped even caring if I was close to myself. I was never contemplating suicide, nor was I depressed. I believe I was just empty of all emotion. Incapable of feeling love for anyone, especially those that felt love for me. I often wonder how I could have lived that way because now I cannot even fathom it.  My family, new and old, means more to me than I could have ever imagined. It has been wonderful to get back in contact with my old family and they have acted as if I was never gone. I love them for that. My new family, the few friends I have made in my twenties, and the most wonderful boyfriend a girl could ask for, have helped me to enjoy life again and I love them for that. I also must not forget to mention my oldest, but best friends. Anyone would be lucky to have friends like these on their side. I have a number of friends that I grew up with, lost touch with briefly, and now have regained a friendship with them. These friends act as if nothing has changed, except for our age and knowledge, and that is what I love them for most of all. 

I spent a lot of time, and even more effort, trying to make it where people did not want to be a part of my life. Fortunately, it did not work. As George Sand once said, "There is only one happiness in life...to love and to be loved". Although I do not believe that love is the only thing that can make one happy, I do feel that without love nothing else worth doing will bring the happiness that one deserves. I am glad to have rediscovered this emotion and hope that everyone in the world has the chance to feel the way I feel at this very moment...loved!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ramble on Guns and Mental Health

Recently I have seen more and more posts on social media websites about gun control, the lack there of, or there being too much. The recent shooting at an elementary school in Pennsylvania is an awful tragedy that has happened and many people believe that these kinds of incidents would not happen if guns were not allowed to be in the hands of citizens. I do not know exactly where I stand on the gun issue, but I do know that anyone who is inclined to murder a multitude of people has a mental issue, and I think that society needs to address these issues when related to guns and the well-being of all citizens.

The Heaviest Sword

“Belief is a beautiful armor, but makes for the heaviest sword” – John Mayer             What makes us believe in something? Why do we feel that we must believe in anything? Is there anyone out there who truly believes in nothing?  Or better yet, is there anyone in the world who truly believes in something?              Most children believe in Santa Claus.  I never did.  I pretended to for the sake of my parents, but by the time I was six years old, I told them I didn’t believe in him.  Many of my friends believed in Santa well beyond six years old and I didn’t let them know I knew the truth. I did often wonder how my friends never caught on though. Maybe they did and were just pretending, as to not ruin anyone else’s belief in the magic of good ole St. Nick.

Psi Chi

Today I was inducted into the International Psychology Honor Society! When I first got the email saying because of my academic record and involvement in psychology that I was invited to join this prestigious society I was very elated, but that excitement dwindled away being that the email was received a month or so before the actual ceremony.  However, the induction today brought that feeling back, and with a risk of sounding a bit over confident, I am very proud! With only a year and a half left of my undergraduate career, I am looking forward to applying for jobs and this honor will look fantastic on a resume.  Although I have changed my major to Mass Communications with a focus in Public Relations, I am still minoring in Psychology, and perhaps will even get my bachelors in the psychology field after graduating.  Either way I am extremely humbled and proud to be a member of Psi Chi!